Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default Awake - Tycho

Hello again, Journaltown! After only one week I miss updating my journal!
I've been studying a lot for the spoken A-levels 5th of June so I was more or less absent.
I realized it doesn't do any good to over-practice, after all I'll have to deal with the task I am going to receive.
Coming back to music, I of course listened to pretty mellow music. I also discovered this album released on 18th March 2014:

Awake - Tycho

The album Dive of the American Ambient/Post-rock musician Tycho was wonderful. This week I stumbled across his newest work.
I must say I'm positively surprised! In comparison to the previous album this provides a variety of sounds and interesting motivic work.
Remained the same has only the logo on the cover, the lunar crater, Tycho.

Track list
1. Awake
2. Montana
3. L
4. Dye
5. See
6. Apogee
7. Spectre
8. Plains

Starting of with a guitar pattern, similar to the XX, the first track Awake kicks you in a soft airy atmosphere. The echo of the guitar sounds wistful.
Montana is built up on a simple chord, combined with a soft bass line and floating voice layers. Simple, but catchy rhythms round it off. Sanguine!
L provides one of the most interesting soundscapes - a journey to the Milky way. It's like music would have a zoom-function, wonderful build-up.
Nostalgic might be the right word for the track Dye. It's darker than the other songs from the color of sound. With 5 minutes it's also quite long!
See starts more up-beat with clapping, a go-getting bass line and the dreamy tune and the insertion of arpeggiated chords. Lovely work.
The sixth song is Apogee. It reminds me on a videogame soundtrack. For me the rhythm section is over top, also I was confused by the sudden break.
Spectre brings in some cool guitar melody combined with energetic drums and some evolved side motifs performed on higher ranges of the guitar.
The final track is called Plains it's filled with shoe-gazing elements, concluding the album in a fine manner. Give it a listen!

In a nutshell, this album isn't spectacular - it's soft and laid-back, but progressive soundscape-wise, and definitively you will hear a development compared to the album Dive.
If you enjoy mellow tunes and expect to get taken into another dream-world by music, this album will be highly enjoyable.