Music Banter - View Single Post - Prince vs. Michael Jackson
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #183 (permalink)
Liberian Girl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogooner View Post
Can you imagine him singing about something truly personal using that voice instead of pretending that he wants to save the world... Even a freakish theme.... I think we would be close to proper artistry.
Actually, in the 90's MJ's music became more personal, especially in HIStory album. Stranger In Moscow for example is a song about his loneliness, 2 Bad talks about all those people who attacked him as well as Money and many other songs. I think he would go on like that from then on, but unluckily he was limited by his discography during the early 00's. In fact he also sang about his private life even in the 80's (especially Price of Fame and I also find Abortion Papers very interesting) but these songs didn't come out at that time.

I don't know what you mean by freakish but I recommend you to give it a listen to Morphine, Superfly Sister or even HIStory, in case you don't know them.

As regards the thread, I chose MJ of course. I really admire Prince and I think his unknown songs are far better than his hits. I mean, he's got many songs much better than When Doves Cry, Kiss or Purple Rain. Kiss especially is too much overrated (so is When Doves Cry).

On the other hand, I just love MJ's music. I love those unknown songs such as Monkey Business, We've Had Enough, Al Capone, Work That Body. Not to mention his hits.

They just had different skills, one plays better while the other dances better but what's important to me is that both were very original composers (yes, MJ did compose his songs) and I admire them both (although I like more MJ's music by far).

Last edited by Liberian Girl; 06-02-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Grammatical mistake
Liberian Girl is offline   Reply With Quote