Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #1925 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke
The Rangers under Tortorella were more committed to blocking shots and keeping things to the outside than any team I've seen. I know you like the Habs (or at least Subban), so if you can imagine the Habs system on roids, that's what the Rangers were. I always thought that D deserved way more credit.
Welll in 2012-2013 (while Lundqvist and Quick were playing respectively),

Average 5on5 shot against distance NYR = 34.3 feet
Average 5on5 shot against distance LA = 34.3 feet

Exactly the same. And yet Quick allowed 4 more goals on over 200 less shots. The year before the rangers allowed shots from an average of 33.8 feet, while the kings kept opponents to a much better 36 feet. 2010-2011 was an even larger difference (32.1 to 36.5). So no, the Rangers were not a better team at keeping pucks away from the net than the Kings during Torts' tenure. And you can just look at the graphics to see that they have way more shots from in close than the kings.

Playoffs last year, Lundqvist had a better sv% than Quick, but also had shots from farther away. The year before was exactly the opposite (ie Quick having better sv% with shots from farther away. The differences between the two were also very similar). So basically they had nearly identical playoff numbers the last 2 years with lundqvist is significantly outplaying quick this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke
Even as a Bruins fan that loves Rask (another goalie people put up as one of if not the best in the league), there isn't a goalie I'd take on my team over Quick. Rask has one of the best save percentages of all time for the playoffs, and is always hovering around that .930 mark, but I don't have faith that he can come up big at the right times all the time. Same thing for Lundqvist, although he hasn't been quite as good in the playoffs.
Im not really sure why youd concede that some of Rask's great numbers come with him playing on a great team, but defend quick's comparatively worse numbers on a similarly great team.

And im not knocking the Kings. They are a powerhouse and probably the best team in the league, but it's not because of Quick that they are winning. Crawford has similar career playoff numbers as Quick and hes getting lynched.
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote