Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you listen to the lyrics?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
javerend
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Heh. I'm in the same boat as an aspiring writer and a lover of language, but that's exactly why I don't typically listen to music for the lyrics. Aside from rare cases like Nick Cave, song lyrics generally aren't even close to the level of actual literature.
I'm in that ballpark as well. I try to listen to music just to listen to the music, but it feels wrong for me not to think of it as a form of poetry. Coming from that I like music that tells a story (hence my love for Dylan) and even if the music is catchy I can't listen to it very long if the lyrics are dull. I'm especially a fan of detecting both musical and emotional change over the course of albums.

Take Aim and Ignite for example, the songs are all very lyrically driven because they follow a story and the music follows the emotion of the song. The music I look for and enjoy is basically just adding another dimension to a story.

That being said, I almost always read the lyrics along with the song at least a few times so I can try to get them, and then after that I can listen to the songs in that potential. It may be tough sometimes to find songs worth reading the lyrics of, but they're out there.

I have a blog thing!
javerend is offline   Reply With Quote