Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #891 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

The first thing that always strikes me about early Procul Harum, is just how laid back their early prog style recordings were. Their debut album had to be one of the most laid back albums that came under the prog label. The album is a mesh of psychedelic rock with classical influences, underpinned by the bands bluesy roots. There are various versions of this album (different track selections) but I've gone with the original UK release which starts with the excellent "Conquistador" and other great tracks on the album in the Procul Harum style include the engaging "Something Following Me" the dominant piano on "Christmas Camel" the flowing "Kaleidoscope" and Michael Fisher's organ on "Repent Walpurgis". Also some versions of the album have the band's most famous track as well "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

Like a lot of early prog recordings, a light and somewhat jokey track was usually included and here it's the short "Mabel" and to a degree as well "Good Captain Clack" similar in nature to Pink Floyds "Corporal Clegg". The vocals of Gary Brooker is one of the album's strongpoints as is the tasteful guitar of Robin Trower. Gary Brooker sounds very similar to Steve Winwood, but whereas I don't really like Steve Winwood's vocals, I really like those of Gary Brooker.

4.0/5
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote