Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #8674 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
With few exceptions, thrash metal guitar solos are all awful and I don't like any of them. Even with my three favorite thrash songs of Master of Puppets, Holy Wars...The Punishment Due, and South of Heaven, my least favorite part of those three songs are the guitar solo (solos for the last two).

The #1 reason I like those songs is unquestionably because of the guitar riffs, with the first minute of both of Master and Holy Wars... being two of my favorite song intros because they are all riffing, and the main riff for South of Heaven is probly in the top 5 of my favorite guitar riffs for all genres of music.

Slayer guitar solos are the worst of all. I don't know if I've mentioned this on this forum before or not, but one of the 'songs' in DOOM 2 is actually an 8-bit rendition of South of Heaven, and it's definetely one of my top songs ever in a video game because it's basically just the intro and riff for south of heaven and that's it. It just loops after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
I always separate Slayer solos. I love Hanneman's solos, hes very creative and has great technique. King is a total noodler however and i find myself thinking how tedious he is and lacking at times.
The thing about Slayers solos, for me anyway, is that they're supposed to have that sinister quality to them, like a drill to the eardrums, as if to flip the bird to all the technical masters out there, and that's what both Hanneman, and King both try to achieve. Hanneman does a better job of it, and has a better sense of melody.

Last edited by Plankton; 06-09-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote