Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do...
Thread: Why do...
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 02:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
phoenixflames
Something That You're Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Perfect_Sonnet
The true emo bands have done a good job avoiding this whole scene emergence by staying underground and true to the guidelines that defined emo back when bands like Embrace, Rites of Spring, and Fugazi were creating the genre.
I don't understand the belief that bands have to stay underground in order to be "true". Just because a band is popular doesn't mean that it has sold out or the music is terrible. Granted, some bands do sell out, some bands are formed just because of trends, and some bands are just plain terrible but are marketed heavely enough that they become "good".

If a genre evolves, that does not make it wrong or sold out (at least in my opinion). It seems like the fans of this type of music are ruining it for alot of people, but I don't see that the music itself is to blame. Some bands do support the whole trendy fashion theme, but then again, so do alot of other genres.

If the fans of emo (whatever era you are speaking of) bother you, don't pay so much attention to them. Its about the music, and by paying attention to their fashion and giving it feedback (whether good or bad), you are giving them exactly what they want.
We're from Ohio.
Yay for us...
www.theascentofterrion.com
Be our friend on MySpace
phoenixflames is offline   Reply With Quote