Music Banter - View Single Post - Second Golden Age of Television
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
^ That gave me a genuine lol moment - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
That's not really fair to compare big cultural events to shows that have great writing and are viewed by niche audiences.
Quite right, I could have been fairer and more precise about the article, and the table of mass audiences only reveals a little about tv and our attitude to it.
Quote:
All the rest of the reality tv shows are still hanging on because of low production value and high rewards by ratings fit into that category but the majority of that article was focused on the writing for series also the fact that there are more movie actors taking on television roles because of how well they are written most likely.
^ Not sure that I entirely understood this, dj, but if you`re saying that "reality" shows are on tv because they are popular and cheap to make, then I agree.
I feel it to be a real con trick on the part of tv companies: they get us to accept unremarkable people making banal, unscripted comments as entertainment and they save themselves a fortune on actors, scriptwriters and rehearsals. If, as you and the article are saying, there`s a return to the making of quality drama progs, then I`ll get that clapping smiley out instead.