Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #1977 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ascension View Post
Thornton was an excellent fourth liner and one of the few "enforcers" capable of being an effective player.

Comparing him to Orr, Bourque, and O'Reilly is still silly.

Also, please stop being dumb re: Quick/Lundqvist. Lundqvist was not the reason the Rangers lost, nor was Quick the reason the Kings won. The Kings were the better and more opportunistic team. The Rangers' lack of finish is well known.
Like I said, it was certainly an odd way to start off a piece on Thornton, but you guys are letting that warp your opinion of the entire article. All he's doing is paying credit to a guy who was a fan favourite for years. Do Bruins fans like him as much as Bobby Orr, or think he was even close to as important to the franchise? Of course not. He was just using hyperbole to illustrate a point that he was a fan favourite. Not a skilled fan favourite, but a fan favourite nonetheless.

As for Quick, I've exhausted that argument. The guy has proven himself over and over and over against the toughest competition (both teams and offenses) imaginable the last 3 playoffs. If that doesn't put him at the top, I don't know what does. I can't say anything else on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
No you dont. But i guess you do need to be a fan to shout tired narratives the loudest. I wonder how many teams will try and sign Thornton because he tells funny jokes in the locker room.

good lord.
Once again, you miss the point. This article has absolutely nothing to do with his attractiveness as a free agent, and I'm not trying to sell him as a free agent either (with the way the NHL is going with fighting, it's possible he could be out of a job). Instead, it has everything to do with what he meant to the fans. "Telling funny jokes in the locker room", how he dealt with the media, his presence in Boston, his charitable work, etc. are all things that endeared him to the fans, the media, his team, and even other athletes in Boston. Why do you think a fluff piece was being written on a 4th liner in the first place? Like I said before, these aren't things you'd know if you don't like the team. I'm not trying to sound like a snob with that statement, it's just the way fandom in sports works.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote