Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #1978 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Once again, you miss the point. This article has absolutely nothing to do with his attractiveness as a free agent, and I'm not trying to sell him as a free agent either (with the way the NHL is going with fighting, it's possible he could be out of a job). Instead, it has everything to do with what he meant to the fans. "Telling funny jokes in the locker room", how he dealt with the media, his presence in Boston, his charitable work, etc. are all things that endeared him to the fans, the media, his team, and even other athletes in Boston. Why do you think a fluff piece was being written on a 4th liner in the first place? Like I said before, these aren't things you'd know if you don't like the team. I'm not trying to sound like a snob with that statement, it's just the way fandom in sports works.
Fair enough. For the record, Ive never been in doubt that he does charity work or is great in media scrums. I mean Thornton is kind of like the Bruins' Laraque, so i understand the endearment behind him, but i guess i do get crusty at how guys like Thornton are romanticized to no end. Like saying he was a huge part of their cup runs. Come on. And surely people will be defending him for the orpik debacle until long after he retires.

And now ive heard the Oilers are looking at trading for Boychuk apparently. I think you like him(?) and i think hes a decent 2nd pair guy, but he would probably cost more than hes worth (i heard guys like Nurse or Petry straight across)

Also for the record, i like talking hockey with you Thom. We disagree a lot but i think we both make good points on either end of the spectrum and it makes for good debates. If i sound like a douche its out of love dude.
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote