Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitar Based Funk
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
MISTERQCUE
Groupie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsideup11 View Post
Hi guys - looking to trouble you for some recommendations if I may. I'm fairly new to the world of funk music and am particularly keen on the funk guitar sound. I wonder if anyone knows of any good songs or acts that feature a prominent guitar track, especially with a 'stripped back' sound, i.e. without too much other instrumentation such as keys, horns, brass, strings, backing vocals etc. Much appreciated if you could give me some suggestions.
Many thanks.
What-up there, D-sideup!

As bassist for over 30-yrs (with a bit of skilz on drums,git & keys), I live & breath by the "CODE OF FUNK"! Back-in-the-day, most of the bands I've performed with were funk & funk/jazz-based. Now, I write/perform, track/mix/record my own brand of funk (some fused with today's sound) & 70's-era funk-cover productions in my home-studio. Yeah mannn, I'm all about
the FUNK & Nuthin but the FUNK (tho' my daughter says my socks are the most "funkiest" thing about me)!

Anyway with all that said (& sincere apologies for boring you with my micro-autobiography), just a few questions to help define & determine which guitarists aptly suits your requirements (Plankton's suggestions are most excellent);

A)- Is your play preference on funk-guitar for performing "lead-fillers" or "rhythmic/bar chord" strumming? (such as what AWB guitarists Onnie McIntyre & Hamish Stuart perform on the classic "Pick Up The Pieces")

B)-Are you looking to do "funk-solo's"? (Like Ernie Isley's melodic guitar-solo on the Isley Bros "Who's That Lady"?)

C)-A combination of funk "lead-riff/rhythmic/solo"-technique that also incorporates subtle styles of rock/jazz guitar-play? (such as 6-string Master-Extraordinaire, Dennis Coffey on the hit, "Scorpio")

D)-What type of git (Les P, Strat, PRS, Epi, etc for ex.) & what type of efx/signal-chain will you be using/planning to use?(Vox wah, Electro-Harmonix phase-shifter, Line6 pod, etc for ex)

E)-Who/What inspired you to want to delve into funk as well as Why?

I ask these questions only to assist you in achieving your utmost satisfaction in "FUNK-OLOGY" by directing you to guitarists I think would be suitable for what you seek & to enjoy. My opinon(s) only for better or worse.
Who knows...We even might be able to lay down some tracks together in the future...

Peace 2-fingaz'

Q.rM
MISTERQCUE is offline   Reply With Quote