Music Banter - View Single Post - Your favorite Metallica album?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #159 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
This. I will agree with this. That riff is indeed awesome, but I really can't stand the rest of that song after...

OH. I think I may have just identified what my problem with that entire album is: Hetfield's singing.

Take these lyrics for example, taken from "Ride The Lightning"

When Hetfield sings the 'I don't want to die' part, it makes me want to take this album and throw it in the trash. He sounds SO BAD to me, and this happens throughout this entire album.
If you don't understand what I'm talking about, try listening to "Motorbreath" and you'll notice the difference. Hell, "Fight Fire With Fire" is dramatically different (better) I think.

I think the issue is that Hetfield is actually trying to bear some semblance of harmony, but I can't say I'm a fan of the results. I'll give him credit for trying though and I all fairness I don't have a problem with him singing on "Fade To Black," (but that's not saying much because I'm not a fan every other part of that song), it's just when he does it on basically every other song from that album it sounds terrible. I guess this would explain why "Call of Ktulu" is my favorite song: because there's no singing lol.
Hetfield's singing is one of the worst things about Metallica in general. At least RtL and MoP hit an okay spot somewhere in between the haven't-hit-puberty-yet vocals of K'EA and the constant-ah attempt-ah at trying-ah to sound-ah gruff-ah on all subsequent albums.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote