Music Banter - View Single Post - Was Mohammad originally Jesus?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #36 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
According to the wiki (for whatever that's worth) he is indeed the messiah in Islam:

Jesus in Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
yea, my understanding is that jesus (isa) is the islamic messiah as well. the messiah is not necessarily just the most prolific prophet in abrahamic religions. he is supposed to fulfill certain jewish prophecies. jews reject jesus as the messiah because they hold he did not fulfill said prophecies... which include:

Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus, why Jews reject Jesus

christians think he is not only the messiah but god in human form, while muslims and jews reject this as idolatry. muslims think he was a mere mortal prophet and jews think he was just a phony.

muhammad is the most significant prophet in islam because it was through him that the final revelations were given, and these revelations were transcribed into the quran which is seen as the authoritative text on god's word in islam. older christian and jewish texts are seen as less reliable, containing some truths but having been tampered with and translated countless times introducing errors.

jews and christians reject muhammad as a legitimate prophet... probably in part because he's not jewish and there were no ancient prophecies depicting an arab prophet that would bring god's final word. muslims claim that muhammad is actually from the lineage of ishmael, isaac's older brother, and thus a descendent of abhraham. but even if this were true the bible makes it pretty clear that god preferred the lineage of isaac, which is who he made his 'covenant' with.
Thanks for the clarification guys, I didn't know that there was a distinction between the messiah and god in human form. I've only heard the word in a Christian context so I thought that was how it was defined.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote