Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #902 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Dušan Jevtovič: Am I Walking Wrong? (2013)

Guitar-led jazz fusion is interesting stuff: my own initial experiences probably started with Allan Holdsworth and his experimentation on the synth-axe back in the early 80's with Metal Fatigue and moving forward from that. That being said, once you've spent some time with guys like Toshiki Kadomatsu or Pat Metheny, even modern, edgier guitar-led instrumentality sounds near-pedestrian.

Still, I did like this. In the case of Dušan, I found his emphasis on distortion almost refreshing in a sense. He's cut from the cloth of guys like Robin Trower or Buckethead, but his playing is less predictable than the former's and yet more acidic than the latter. And even when he goes into semi-acoustic mode on cuts like "If You See Me Again', his abrasive noodlage is almost comforting in its modality. You get the impression he's probably nursed himself on a lot of Bartok or bands like Univers Zero as a toddler, but perhaps that's just me reading too much into things.

All n' all, color me impressed. There's not enough "oomph" in either his technique, production or the overall atmosphere for Am I Walking Wrong? to nudge out any of my existing go-to albums for guitar led jazz fusion/instrumental stuff, but I'm happy that he exists and follows his muse. I'd be interested to hear more from him.

6.5/10

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote