Music Banter - View Single Post - Top Five Films of 2014...so far
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

5. Jodorowsky's Dune

such an intriguing film....a fairly simple documentary about what probably would have been the greatest movie of all time....also an exploration into the mind of someone who is truly insane.....and the hope of this actually becoming an animated film
4. The Lego Movie

other than my number one pick...i can honestly say that there has not been a film this year that left as astonished at the end....there is absolutely nothing wrong with this movie....wonderful writing, clever inside jokes, and a heart wrenching moral....actually just re-watched it this morning with some friends and their kids....which made even better
*3. The Rover

what can i say....i love bleak existential films about horrible people...and The Rover pays off in such an amazing way....both Guy Pierce and Robert Pattinson give really amazing performances....the shots in this film are reminiscent of the amazing shots Sergio Leone would pull off....you could take away everything else in this movie and just leave the cinematography and it would still be worth seeing several times....but the story is well written and the parallels are not so obvious leaving the viewer to really think (thank you Exo ).....this flick sticks with you
2. Only Lovers Left Alive

i think Adam from Filmspotting really explains this perfectly when he said that the people who enjoy this movie do so because they want to spend time with these characters....two minutes into Eve's screen time and i was hopelessly in love with her....being a huge fan already of Jim Jarmusch i went into this with very high expectations and honestly i think we got his best film to date....both Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston are perfect as two centuries old vampires....every shot in this movie is thought out and executed perfectly....the soundtrack is amazing....and so far this year...this is the only movie that really made me think about myself and how i perceive the world around me....seriously i can one for hours about the impact the mushroom scene had on me
1. Under The Skin

i can honestly say that i don't think anything will come out that will be better than this movie....maybe The Lobster but i think that has been pushed to a 2015 release

honestly this movie floored me in a way that i just can't explain....everything i love about film is in this....i've seen it three times in less than a week and i've just started reading the book for a second time

feeling that in many ways Scarlett Johansson got robbed last year for not even a nod for her amazing performance in Her....i almost know for a fact that this film will be ignored....which is a shame....this one is a true piece of art....and it obviously centers completely around her as an alien driving around Scotland picking up men

if you see anything this year Paul....see this

*kind of like last year with Inside Llewyn Davis and Her....my number three and two could easily change between The Rover and Only Lovers Left Alive depending on my mood or even just the time of day
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote