Music Banter - View Single Post - World Cup 2014 thread
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #590 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

The Premier League hasn't really crowded them out imo if you're good enough you'll likely play.

One thing I don't like is English players are just too ignorant to move abroad and get first team experience that way if they're not playing for their clubs. Plus the ones that do show some promise join clubs like Man. City and Chelsea who end up ruining them; Rodwell, Sinclair, Wright Phillips, Daniel Sturridge (thankfully worked out at a proper club for him), Steve Sidwell, Scott Parker etc... Now you've got Nathaniel Chalobah, Josh McEachran, Ryan Bertrand just wasting away at Chelsea... the list is endless. Something has to be done about Chelsea and their stockpiling/loaning.

We have a population of 50m which is more than enough to compete with the likes of Germany & Italy when you consider Uruguay and Costa Rica, but you are right with the UK team point. What I would do is compete in the World Cup and Euros as a British team and bring back the Home Championship instead of pointless friendlies.

Bale, Ramsey & Adam Matthews at Celtic would all make the squad and probably start. Darren Fletcher could have done a job before his illness and Scotland have Izzy Feruz coming through now... competing as individual nations helps nobody imo.

EDIT - I realise this would never happen by the way. I also think the domestic leagues should merge but that's another discussion.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 07-02-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote