Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer vs Metallica
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #335 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
The problem with Metallica is they became soft. They turned into big fat dough boy rock stars that no one can see as threatening or respect. But if you can just narrow the time capsule of Metallica down to the days when a young Hetfield & Burton where at risk of going to jail if for not for playing in a band, accompanied by a group of **** ups and thrown out guitarist who practiced black magic...than Metallica rules!
I would have so loved to see Metallica when they still had Dave Mustaine. I hear he was a drunken train wreck onstage who would take over James' job of interacting with the crowd without James' consent. Supposedly he was pretty damn good at getting the audience into it too. Hell I'd love to see him join the band onstage now, just to see how awkward it was. I imagine it wouldn't be entirely different from the old days honestly.

And I think the main reason why KEA is better than Show No Mercy, other than Metallica just outclassing Slayer as songwriters, is the Diamond Head influence. Without that kind of riff wizardry I doubt Metallica would have ever written anything as awesome so early on as "Seek and Destroy" or "The Four Horsemen". I mean I think "Seek and Destroy" may have been their self conscious attempt at writing a kind of towering, riff monster like "Am I Evil". You can hear the atmosphere of Lightning to the Nations all over Kill 'Em All. If you actually listen to Metallica's No Life Till Leather demo, or their song off Metal Massacre you can ever hear James doing a quasi-embarrassing imitation of the the guy from Diamond Head.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote