Music Banter - View Single Post - The Cascadia Subduction Zone
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
Before I start I'll get this right out, I am perfectly aware this post will interest almost no one.
Well, it`s interesting to me, Paul! I became intrigued by physical geography when I first learned about glaciation as a child, and continental drift is about the most dynamic theory/manifestation of geology at work.
I thought these clips particularly were both creepy and mesmerising:-

Spoiler for Hide because they`re already on this page:

Our knowledge of this stuff is advancing so fast too. Continental drift wasn`t even mentioned in the text books when I was at high school; we learned about eathquakes but there was no theory to tie the global pattern together. Now we have precise info about the Cascadia Zone and it`s 300-year-quake frequency. So, just as with climatology, we have moved from blissful ignorance to worried knowledge...

Incidently, if people on the Pacific Coast feel threatened, at least they`re not alone; East Coast residents have something to worry about too:-

Excuse the black humour , but faced with the possibility of disasters of this magnitude, what can you do ? Well, get a t-shirt like rostasi`s I guess!