Music Banter - View Single Post - Modest Mouse
Thread: Modest Mouse
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 AM   #78 (permalink)
Inkman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspindles
I see both points of view...

Generally my opinion on this topic is that if a band makes good music that's all that counts. I don't really care what label they're signed on to. However it does suck when the ticket prices go up... Like last year I tried to get a hold of a Modest Mouse cd and it took me forever to track it down. Now you go to HMV and they's a big poster and like 200 "Good News..." piled up buy one get one half off... makes me NOT want to buy it.

Music should be considered art not a commercial thing, and all these companies are trying to rip us off as much as they can, that just pisses me off. Plus the fact that an indie band has control over all the music, merchandise and interviews/articles that come out, when they sign to a major label no matter how much "artisitc freedom" they promise the label is going to influence the musician.

I could write a lot more about this from both points of view.
After all the artists need a job too, pay rent etc...
so it's hard to say... Major label = good or bad

What do you guys think?

So essentially it actually doesn't matter to you if the band plays good music? Because you say if there are 200 of them piled up all of a sudden you don't want to buy it anymore? Why....Did the music change? Or did its ability to make you feel more cred and underground change because now a lot more people enjoy it and you aren't so "artistic" as to be into something that not many other people are into? Because that's how "makes me NOT want to buy it" reads to me.

Also I don't understand how the label influencing an artist stops what they do from being art. Artists are part of a world, and their art is reflective of how they feel about, and interact with, the world around them. The label just becomes another part of this world to be interpreted artistically.

I personally find it hard to argue the case against Major Labels. I don't agree with their methodologies a lot of the time however they have a valid place in the fantastic artform that is music. It shouldn't matter AT ALL if the band is an indie band or a major label band. What matters is whether the music is good or not. Some bands just dont have the financial resources to continue releasing independant records. Good on Modest Mouse for making a move that allows their art to reach more people! Hopefully they use this new level of "success" for good and not evil ;-)
Inkman is offline   Reply With Quote