Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #6597 (permalink)
Yac
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnels View Post
I've only played Civ 5 twice and I don't really know what I'm doing, but I already have 12 hours in it's ruining my life.
Run while you can! I pre-ordered so I've been playing from day one, that's over 860 hours "wasted".
Worse than crack!

And right now I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin. If Gothic and baldurs gate had a baby, it would be it! Combat is fully turn based, challenging and very tactical - right from the start the enemies you face are tougher, hit a lot harder than you and have a numerical advantage over you (usually) so you really have to plan. There's also a fairly robust system of combining effects - for example if you use the rain spell on an area, it will among other things, make everybody wet. This means they will stop burning (which is fun if they are burning skeletons that regenerate when take fire damage, for example) but it will also make the targets a lot more likely to get frozen if you use a proper spell on them. Similarly an oil stain can slow everybody down, but when you use a fire attack on it - it explodes, burning those standing in it. Combat relies heavily on figuring out combos like this.
The world is open, but just like in the Gothic series, many of the places you can go will kill you if your level is too low (not automatically, but you'll get your a*s handed to you regularly) so you have to explore and be picky about the fights you ... well, pick.
It's also similar to Balrdurs gate in a way that nothing is clearly marked, no glowing exclamation marks over the heads of those willing to give you quests, you actually have to explore the map and look for them - and it's very similar with companions.
Can't tell much about the story yet, but so far it seems somewhat generic but not in a bad way. What is also fun is that you get to create 2 characters and role play them in dialogs - I think there were games that let you do that before, but I can't honestly name one.
So if you're looking for a challenging "old school" crpg, grab a copy of Divinity: orignal sin
Yac is offline   Reply With Quote