Music Banter - View Single Post - Atheism and its negative stigma...
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #62 (permalink)
kallifrey
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I am an atheist.

I don't know what the community is like as far as religion goes here, but it seems wherever you, atheism has a negative stigma. If you proclaim you're an atheist, it's generally followed by the association that you must be a morally-corrupt, hedonistic libertine who has no conscience.

Why is it that an agnostic can just be an agnostic, and you can even simply "not believe in god," but yet when you assert yourself as an atheist it almost always provokes a negative response?

Richard Dawkins made this same point in The God Delusion, so this is obviously not entirely my own argument, just to point that out now.

Thoughts?

Maybe those Christian conservatards are just having one of their (many) lapses in logic i.e. the logical fallacy of affirming the consequent. For example, those (at least from what they have observed) who are morally-corrupt, hedonistic libertines with no conscience are all atheists, therefore all atheists must be morally-corrupt, hedonistic libertines with no conscience.

Maybe if they were to put aside their conservatarded hostilities and get to know some atheists, their views would become more aligned with reality.
kallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote