Music Banter - View Single Post - How Stupid Were Metalheads Back In the Eighties
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Default How Stupid Were Metalheads Back In the Eighties

This question is mostly for the oldies who were actually there to see this time period. Alright, so we've all seen the kind of be-mulleted dunderheads that inspired Beavis and Butthead in documentaries like Heavy Metal Parking Lot. The kind that just make you cringe, knowing that their intellectual mediocrity has been preserved on film for all of mankind to deride. But these days those types seem to mostly populate the Juggalo movement, or maybe the deathcore scene. Metalheads just seem to be nerds more than anything else now. So, with whatever dynamic that existed back then seemingly gone I've never really known just how true the stereotypes were, and in what proportions. Would the vast majority of a crowd at a Slayer show in the mid to late eighties have been made up of morons? Fifty/fifty? Would I have been embarrassed to be seen with these people?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote