Music Banter - View Single Post - Singles That Don't Represent the Band Well
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
A couple more, starting with one I like -
A Flock of Seagulls - Wishing (1983) - This is a classic case of "Far better than the rest of their work" as if the Music Gods decided that for just one ultra fine moment, this usually dire band had the song to match Mike Score's hair and Future Now image instead of the usual cheese whiz Sci Fi Pop that screamed One Year Wonder (at least in the US). One beep going through the song which hypnotizing the listener, Nice Synth sweeps, a melody you can whistle to, Paul Reynold's guitar (the only thing that made their first three albums listenable) hitting the notes perfectly with no filler or solos, and Feather-Do himself sounding quite well. This is a choice of a New Wave Era Music Snob ready to admit to the skeletons in the record collection because it is good song...and then you turn to something like "I Ran" and the other moments that they earned their wings as Another British Band That Did Better in The States and wonder what caused such a great moment, which actually turned into their homeland hit. After Reynolds left, they flew south for the sad Dream Come True, making at least their first three albums sound like masterpieces - this from the second and best, Listen. Damn them, in a good way.
Dude, you seriously know more about bad music than I will ever know about good music. You of all people on this site make me feel inadequate in my music knowledge.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote