Music Banter - View Single Post - Su-asti-ka
Thread: Su-asti-ka
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
it's a shame that the nazis ruined the swastika for everyone, it is aesthetically speaking a pretty cool symbol.

i wonder though why is it especially offensive compared to say the imperial sun of japan or the sickle and hammer of the soviet union. in terms of evil and indifference to human life these regimes were more or less on par... why is special symbolic significance attributed to the swastika?
I think that's your issue right there. WW2 was instigated by the Nazis and is the single largest recorded loss of human life to war in all of history, on top of being enacted by a party who sought to subjugate and completely dehumanise to the point of genocide, a group of people who had done nothing wrong. The only comparable death toll ever recorded was that of the mongol conquests. The expansion and establishment of an empire over decades.

To say that other regimes were on par with that is stretching it. They were awful, yes. But they weren't that.

Also those symbols are considered offensive in many places. Just not places that weren't affected by japanese imperialism. Which is to say - not in the US or Europe. (Unless you've researched it and read up on the context...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote