Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #21048 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Viet Cong - Cassette (2013)
Quite an impressive demo tape from a former member of Calgary's Women, a member of Chad VanGaalen's live band, and two other guys. It's post-punk with some 60s influence, neo-psych and noise rock, and jangly/angular in that sort of Women way, with better vocals from what I gather (though I thought Women's vocals were great on the whole, they were maybe a bit too nasal at times, and often unintelligible). Oh and it features a cover of Bauhaus' "Dark Entries", that appears to be live. They're polishing up a full-length for release hopefully later this year. I'm excited.

Tall Dwarfs - Fork Songs (1991)
First time listening to this New Zealand band and I quite enjoyed it. It's labeled as Lo-fi Indie on RYM, but it doesn't sound intentionally or overly lo-fi. I was reminded of The Feelies a bit, as well as other like-minded post-punk and jangle pop influenced bands, with a bit more experimentation. I was even reminded of some of The Beatles' less accessible, more trippy songs. You can kind of hear the band's influence in later lo-fi Indie bands like Pavement, Guided by Voices, etc.