Music Banter - View Single Post - What's wrong with disco?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Not to get too edit crazy in the last post, here's Rufus Thomas' re-vision of his classic "Jump Back" as "Jump Back '75" which kind of had a slight Disco flavor to it. Although they lost one of their kings to another label, Stax still had the legendary Clown Prince of Funk who could adapt, although sadly with diminishing returns.

On Polydor, James Brown sadly decided that he wanted to create an album that tried to keep up with the trends with some re-visions of his classics, including "Sex Machine '75". Still, what sounded flat on vinyl sounded cool live in ugly 70's clothes and telling the audience to "get on up!" as he knew he was the man with the plan.

I have nothing wrong with good Disco, it was only the 78-80 era that seen many artists try to ride on the train. Soul legends climbing aboard was alright as they already had built the base, but when you see someone like Ethel Merman, however, that was the time to say stop. Casablanca Records had a lot of good dance music, especially that of Giorgio Moroder's productions, but by '79 (and Kiss' "I Was Made for Loving You"), it got to a point when the label was releasing singles like diarrhea because they were cheap to produce with not a lot of focus on the quality - too many awards at Studio 54 warped them I guess.

TK Records in Florida, home of KC and the Sunshine Band, thankfully knew when to slow down. I have a double platter released through one of their sub-labels that actually gets me on my feet simply called Disco Party.

Still, as for trendy followers, I have a guilty pleasure for the MCA released Ann Marget Disco album produced by Paul Sabu!

Last edited by Screen13; 07-21-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote