Music Banter - View Single Post - Comics/Graphic Novels
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #238 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

So I'm guessing he got his face sewn back on?

Anyway I decided to take a break from Marvel and start trying to mine DC for some gems, and here's what I've found so far.

Green Lantern / Green Arrow by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams

I'll be first to admit that I tend to shy away from the '70's when it comes to comics. There's good stuff to be had, but I feel like it can be real chore to dig through and find the ones that still hold up. Out of all the series' to still hold up to this day, it's pretty surprising that it turns out to be the Green Lantern/Green Arrow teamup. Basically Hal Jordan (GL) has always been DC's tough guy John Wayne type of character who holds authority and following rules above all else, whereas Oliver Queen (GA) leans heavily towards the left of the political spectrum and sees himself as a modern-day Robin Hood. The basic premise of this series is to have their political and philosophical differences square off, while always trying to find some kind of compromise. Issues of racism (pictured), drug use (pictured), environmental decline, corruption, greed, and many other issues pop up throughout this run, but all are presented in such a way that it does not feel contrived or preachy, which is damn near impossible for this medium.

Out of all of them, the #85-86 "Snowbirds Don't Fly" is probably my favourite, because it could have so easily turned into a D.A.R.E. presentation, but instead dealt with drug use in a respectable manner that didn't just turn into a "drugs are whack" cliche like we got in the '80's (thank you Nancy Reagan). While the message is still there, Speedy (pictured just about to shoot up) has some relevant points and gets to take Green Arrow down a notch or two. Really the only cringe worthy part of this particular arc is the shoehorned in use of slang, which may have sounded hip and cool in the '70's but is just laughable today, which is a shame because I feel that could turn a lot of potential readers off.

I won't lie and say all their attempts to tackle big issues came out as well as that story arc, but they were at least valiant attempts and showcased the medium's potential before it got (mostly) squandered after 1986. The series was recently collected into a single volume and is well worth picking up. In fact, I think anyone who thinks of themselves as a Social Justice Warrior, or bemoans the same should read this as it's practically a how-to guide on how to deal with people with opposing viewpoints.

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell

My first real introduction to the character of Green Arrow came from the CW series Arrow, and while it is a perfectly serviceable series given the network (if you've ever watched The CW you probably know what I mean by that statement, but if not I will elaborate upon request), I found myself far more curious about the character after reading Dennis O'Neil's take. I also find this particular 3 part series to be fascinating from a historical point, because it's only a year after Watchmen/ The Dark Knight Returns changed the face of comics forever. It's impossible not to see the influences of those two landmark comics leak into this series (as well as the rest of the industry), but at least here it's not done in the pandering way comics went in the '90's. Sure there's blood, swearing, killing, and brief nudity, but it really is balanced out by a reflection of Oliver Queen as a character as he comes to terms with his own mortality and age. His character growth feels organic and natural given the change in tone of comics as well as the state of the world at the time. This was 1987 at what was probably the height of the crack epidemic, and the beginnings of what I like to call "the end is neigh" style of journalism wherein there's nothing positive in world worth reporting on. It makes sense to change up the DC universe to reflect those changes and from a continuity standpoint it works out because of the events of "Crisis on Infinite Earths".

Basically there are two types of mature comics, those that have substance, and those that have style, and unfortunately most comics fall into the latter, hoping that blood, tits, and curse words will make the older audience not feel self-conscious about still being into something ostensibly marketed towards children. This one is definitely worth your time if you're unfamiliar with the DC character, who is probably one of the most human superheroes in the DC Universe.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote