Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #2007 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

This is the first time I haven't felt great about Boston going into a new season in years. I don't think losing Iginla in particular is the be-all and end-all, but the domino effect it created is very concerning.

First, I don't think a lot of people that don't watch the team regularly realize how bad Eriksson looked last year. If you pro-rate his point totals, he had a 50 point season, which one may not think is so bad, but he was really frustrating to watch, and the type of game he plays may very well clash horribly with Krejci/Lucic. So much is banking on him rebounding and becoming a nice complementary piece on the top scoring line, and I am not confident whatsoever in that happening.

Second, the third line, which has been a staple of the Bruins' success ever since they landed Kelly and Peverley in their Cup-winning year, doesn't look nearly as intimidating. Soderberg is fantastic, but he needs someone that is able to finish on his passes. It looks like he'll be with Kelly and Fraser most likely, who aren't exactly offensive dynamos.

Third, the team is completely devoid of right-handed shots. I'm pretty big on having a decent balance for this, and there is none to speak of right now. Not only are there zero right-handed wingers (only Bergeron and Krejci are right-handed shots up front), but all of their top forward prospects except for Pastrnak are lefties as well. It's gotten so ridiculous that there have been rumours of Pastrnak, the 18 year old 160 pound kid, getting a roster spot with the Big Bad Bruins on a scoring line.

The East is still very weak, and I still think the Bruins are the class of it, but I don't think they can beat the Kings or Hawks without more balance up front. Getting Seidenberg back coupled with Hamilton progressing even further should be huge, but Eriksson not performing on the top line could create a domino effect that cripples them (relatively speaking, anyways), as there are absolutely no legitimate alternatives if that happens.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote