Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #1718 (permalink)
skyline
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Within limits. The chance of the US passing similar laws about blasphemy as exist in Pakistan and Afghanistan, both democracies, is absolutely zero. We may have religious nuts here, but the groups strong enough to have any real influence are not extreme enough to even have any desire to. They might try to get Intelligent Design taught in schools or what have you, but they're never going to get any laws passed that make blasphemy punishable by death (blasphemy can potentially receive the death penalty in both Pakistan and Afghanistan). And even if by some horrible anti-miracle they tried then the rest of the populace would have none of it. It's just not a possibility. I also don't really see the possibility of a mob of Americans burning down someone's house and murdering children over a blasphemous Facebook page.

And while I'm sure the people on the extreme end of the religious spectrum don't represent the entire population of Pakistan, the fact that they are numerous and powerful enough to have significant influence on the government suggests that if they are on the far, low end of the bell curve representing the strength of the Pakistani people's religious beliefs then the middle, where the most people would lie, is probably still much more religiously extreme than your average Western country.
The status quo in many western countries is vastly different to that of Pakistan or Afghanistan, no matter how alike people in either country think pluralistic ignorance plays a major role in how their country progresses politically. In the US a lot of pluralistic ignorance surrounding religious extremist movements has been dissolved, it makes it a lot easier to speak out against it. In a different political climate you could pick the same US citizens holding the same views only to find them less willing to express said views no matter what those around them actually think.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote