Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does the mainstream industry only want a select few to be popular?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #56 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
Well if most of the audience for mainstream music is casual listeners, than if Janelle Monae was a superstar in the mainstream media she would only become more famous to casual listeners. ie not people you would be having in depth conversations about music with in the first place. So whether she's incredibly famous or not; it shouldnt really matter. Your original post asks why isnt she more famous; why would you want her to be more famous though?
Well I don't care whether she becomes more famous or not but she has all the qualities and factors necessary to become more famous or a superstar. She makes catchy music that a casual music listener would enjoy along with the artistic notch.

I think she would add some much needed diversity in the mainstream if the industry decided to market her.

Quote:
If it's easier, think of Rihanna as more than one person. The writers, and her. Together they make the artist, just as any band that has one person predominantly writing their songs.

I would define an artist as someone who is involved in the creation of their songs and the overall direction of their music. Rihanna is not involved in the creation of her music and has a team that gives her music and a direction for her music. I would call her a "brand" before I would call her an artist.

She is not an artist.

Quote:
Ive never been a fan of 60s pop in general, and I quite like a lot of what is played on the radio these days.
Why are you not a fan of the 60's? What is it about the music that you do not like?

Quote:
No, it certainly is not.
Can you explain why?
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote