Music Banter - View Single Post - The Jimmy Castor Bunch
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
MISTERQCUE
Groupie

Thumbs up

1 of the greatest funk bands ever with this joint you posted right here - "E-MAN BOOGIE"- being a straight classic!

To truly realize the supremely-gifted musical creative talent of Jimmy C, ya' gotta' sit back & truly "FEEL" (not just listen) & FLOW to this funk masterpiece. Take notice of the tite, rhythmic patterns performed by the drummer (Bobby Manigault) perfectly interspersed with a Latin/Funk-fused percussion effort (conga player Lenny Fridle & Jimmy himself on the timbales` - check out his siiick, timbale solo @2:34 of this video -) creating 1 smooth-@ss bangin' head-noddin' groove. Bassist Doug Gibson strut's out a solid bass-line that not only enhances the tite, rhythmic structure of the song, but also adds that recognizable "lo-end" force to the overall tempo. Guitarist Henry Jensen joins in on the funk-fest by putting forth a flavorful & emphatic "2-prong attack" performance; his whole note/bar-chord play on Vox-wah during the melody & bridges fit's "physically" perfect - adding a "sheen" to the song's funk-groove pattern while his lead riffs & solo flourishes are straight wicked! Throw in Gerry Thomas percussive clavinet play & Hammond B-3 scale-runs & fills (keyboardist) along with the entire band vocalizin' the simplistic yet effective lyrics & what you got here is 1, rope-a-dope-@ss, PLATINUM CLASSIC!
Again, don't just LISTEN to this; FEEL & HEAR IT! Check how tite the band plays off each other; how tite the intro/bridges are; how EACH INSTRUMENT's performance sit's squarely & perfectly in this joint's overall production; How Jimmy was THE MAN (may he RIP)!
Now 'scooze me while I go down to my basement studio, break out my bass & jam on "E-MAN BOOGIE".

Apologies for my long-winded & boring post.

Just wanted to postulate...
MISTERQCUE is offline   Reply With Quote