Music Banter - View Single Post - Musical Time Machine!
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #91 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

I'd have a nice list for this...I will just use one example...

I used to be a big Metallica fan. I still consider myself a fan. But I just don't seek out their music anymore by choice to listen to it. I think my interest for the band began to lessen around the time they announced their St. Anger album. Now, initially however. I was pretty excited to read that my favorite 'Metal' band was going to put out another record. Upon the band releasing the actual St. Anger track, well I was pretty let down. I understood why the album had the sound that it did, but given that, for the life of me I could not get past that damn sound. I have never been a big fan of Lars and his drumming, not saying he's horrible, or even bad. But the guy has always sounded somewhat sloppy when he plays. I got to give him kudos for still being in the band today though. The rest of the guys could have gotten a much better drummer with a more refined and educated approach to the drums, but they didn't...perhaps because they thought Lars was plenty good enough for the music they aimed to make.

So, anyway. Back on track. St. Anger, the song was a big let down, as mentioned in the above paragraph. The drums sounded like they had some kid drag and kit inside a big, empty garbage can and told him to have at it. The entire album pretty much had that drum sound, whatever you'd call it. Maybe it was the production of the album as a whole? All I know, simply is that the album did not sound very good to me. I must have listened to it ten or more times to see if it sank in and grew on me. It never did. There were only three or so tracks on that entire album that I even considered decent. I think Metallica just needed to get it out of their system and release an uninspired sounding album, even if to most it was a concept album.

St. Anger just did not connect with me. Metallica would be the band I'd go back in time and convince to not even go forward with making their St. Anger album.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote