Music Banter - View Single Post - The New Monkees
Thread: The New Monkees
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

One of the most painful memories of The Late 80's for me. At first I was not against the concept, but after catching the debut, this turned into everything that was so wrong about the Late 80's in one 13-week show. In the original 60's series, there was a chemistry, some subversive humor, and a room to develop which had some damn cool music to promote it with, but the 80's show was a bunch of people acting stupid in loud neon colors with anonymous 80's Pop that nobody bought (yeah, the reunion of 3/4'th of the original team was also just as bad, but it was Boyce/Hart level compared to the NM's sounds).

I felt happy that nobody bought into it! This tanked like New Coke!

Watching the show was like a going into a theme restaurant that had a splashy opening but a quick falling down due to the lack of a true quality - you enter the place with loud TVs blaring out crappy music videos and loud decor and you get a burger with an over-sweet HFCS-filled sauce with crappy fries served by a waiter with a dyed blond mullet while someone would catch e-Coli quickly enough to bring the health department over to shut it down without the years of success to grease the wheels to overcome that. They would perfectly fit my Ghost Mall Music blog - and I'm sure that cut-out centered blogs have already went on about the wretchedness of the whole thing. The album hit the cut outs in quick time and the single did hardly anything to make Mister Mister worry.

Dino was a "VJ" from Back Porch Video, a show that was on Group W Cable based in Detroit (and started by Russ Gibb of Grande Ballroom fame), and I think he was a fan of the original Monkees with a silly sense of humor which worked, although on BPV and not this series. I liked the fact that he tried and that there was some focus on trying to get actors who could play their instruments, but this seriously did not work.

Last edited by Screen13; 08-08-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote