Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Grunge dead?
Thread: Is Grunge dead?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
It is not preposterous because they are not grunge bands. Stone Temple Pilots were a Pearl Jam rip off band. Pearl Jam was explicitly not a grunge band. Half the band quit an actual grunge band because they did not want to play grunge. They wanted to indulge their love of classic rock and so they formed Mother Love Bone, and the rest is history. Ergo, any band who takes their sound from Pearl Jam, such as Stone Temple Pilots, is not a grunge band.

And Alice In Chains may have been influenced by actual grunge, but they were a metal band. They started out playing metal covers. They played their first tour with Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth. Their name was originally supposed to be a name for a hair band for god's sake. If you're going to call them a grunge band then you may as well call Danzig one too. AIC is closer to them than they ever were to Nirvana.

Just because bands happen to be associated with a genre that was packaged by record labels and MTV does not mean thsat they were actually of that genre. The grunge sound that was sold to the masses was for the most part not grunge. Period.
I might go as far in agreement that Alice in Chains were the missing link between grunge and metal in the nineties. and their album Dirt is included in a lot of top metal albums of the 90s. but other than that I stick to my original statement.

Bands that I consider metal during the 90s era were bands like Pantera, Megadeth and Metallica for example.I liked Skid Rows 91 release of Slave To The Grind OK.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote