Music Banter - View Single Post - What's Cool in South England?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
The Wookey Hole? I love caves, spelunking and so on and The Wookey Hole sounds just like something I'd love to penetrate deep into. Brilliant, thanks!

I've already checked out Leeds Castle some and while there's a wealth of castles to visit, this one seems to have a lot going on. I saw you could visit the armory and stuff .. appeals to an old fantasy nerd.

Thanks for taking the time writing this up, Psy-Fi I especially appreciate the links! We don't have as many days as you did, so we'll have to prioritize a bit. Do you have any top-picks from your selection?

One of the things related to what you mention here is a visit to Brighton. It's been on my mind a bit .. I like aquariums, but I'm not sure how much else Brighton has to offer. On a tight budget of days, is it worth dropping by?
If you only have time to visit one castle, I'd recommend Leeds Castle over the others mentioned. It costs a bit more for the admission than the others, but it's probably the most well rounded experience as far as castles go. Plus, unlike the others mentioned, it has a moat.

Dover, Walmer, and Deal castles are all close enough to each other that you could probably visit 2 of them in one day (possibly all 3) if you wanted to.

Southsea Castle is more of a fort than what I usually think of as a castle, but the admission is free and there are a lot of other places of interest close by.

I went to Brighton mainly to visit the Royal Pavilion, which I found quite interesting. I also went to the Brighton museum, the aquarium, and the Brighton Pier. The museum, aquarium and pier were just side attractions to fill up my day and they were enjoyable but I probably wouldn't have gone to Brighton just for those. Everything was close enough to walk to and the town has more of a typical seaside holiday vibe to it than Portsmouth, which has more of a working port town feel to it.

She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote