Music Banter - View Single Post - Jimmy vs. Jimi
Thread: Jimmy vs. Jimi
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 02:05 AM   #49 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
You do realize that about 90% of everything they ripped off were the lyrics right?...

And being a Spirit fan myself, i can tell you firsthand that STH dosent sound remotely like Taurus, save the first few notes, and not even those notes are the same, they sound a little similar, big deal, many blues guitarists use traditional licks all the time, its nothing new.... The fact is, they are NOT the same notes...Listen to Taurus because im pretty damn sure you havent actualy heard it, the notes that Page suposedly ripped off are several octaves below STHs opening notes and not to mention that STH has completely different key progressions, its not even the same ****ing chords, the notes sound similar and thats undeniable proof of ripping them off?...That reminds me of all the people who cant seem to make up their mind which song Kurt Cobain ripped off for Smells Like Teen Spirit...Page did originaly ask the band if he could use Taurus as the inspiration for his opening riff, thats all, he didnt rip it off, because it was not the same riff.

He very rarely has copied songs note for note, when he did rip something off, he would still alter it, changing many of the notes and doing a lot of improv based from the remaining notes, and the end result would be somthing that sounds only remotely similar to the original. It isnt a rare practice at all, Blues guitarists do it all the time.
I understand... I like Page, I'm not arguing against him. You just have to trace my posts to see what's happening. I do understand that it looks like I'm trying to flame all Page fans doesn't it? I am quite skeptical towards rip offs, as I have said. Undoubtedly, Page has ripped off some music, but probably not as much as people claim. Either way, Zeppelin had a lot of other good music anyway. Just trace back my posts.