Music Banter - View Single Post - Why Have I Never Heard Anyone Say that the Stooges Were Overrated?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I think your perspective on this depends on how old you are.

I first became aware of non chart music in the mid to late 80s and the Stooges were just never mentioned back then. You might see Funhouse or Raw Power buried near the bottom on the occasional album list but that was it. I think the only thing I knew about them was Iggy used to be their singer and they wrote No Fun which I'd heard the Pistols do first.

It wasn't until the 90s with the grunge/ alternate rock/ 70s nostalgia thing took off that I began to see them in the media saying oh what a great band they were and giving them credit for anything substantial.

So basically I can understand if someone under the age of 25 thinks they're overrated but would be surprised if anyone older said that, unless they really disliked them already.
This. I don't think of them as overrated because I don't think of them as being all that highly rated. I feel like they're more important for their place in history that for the actual music they produced.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote