Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

5. WAR-The World is a Ghetto (1972)

WAR is one of my all time favorite bands who I feel are very underappreciated. For this album, they fused many genres that reflected the bands multicultural backgrounds such as latin music, salsa, funk,jazz, folk, progressive rock and many more.

By the early 1970s, urban communities and the urban experience in America was at its darkest. The culture of minorities (African Americans, Latinos, Hispanics etc) were deeply affected by racial tensions, socioeconomic status, class and discrimination. However, this period also sparked great inspiration and music material for bands during this period who dare to showcase these experiences in their music. WAR was without a doubt a very important band that discussed social issues, racism and poverty that minorities experienced.

Many of the songs are just long jam sessions that are beautiful instrumentals of eclectic genres and music.

The lyricism of the overall album is very daring for its time. It discusses many social issues that greatly affected minorities in America during this period. I love the poetic nature of the lyrics and the abtract meaning behind the way certain phrases were made. It allows listeners to not only be mesmerized by the great production but also the lyrics that really make you critically think about social problems others have to endure.

The band really captures the essence of urban life with their instrumentals even the ones without lyrics which I thought was pretty interesting and creative.

Some of the highlights on the album are "The World is a Ghetto", City, Country, City and Cisco Kid.

I thought it was pretty cool that the concept behind "The Cisco Kid" was influenced by a Latino TV show from the 50's that was "The Cisco Kid"

My personal favorite is "The World is a Ghetto". I think its one of the greatest songs ever created. Its a very eerie sober reflection of inner city life and what the "ghetto" expereince may "look like" and feel like for certain minorities. The lead singer's voice really captures the emotion behind the meaning of the song. The album is important because it would go on to inspire other jam session type of albums. It also covers a wide range of genres and covers political social issues. I think the album is ahead of its time.

Some of the lyrics:
Walkin' down the street, smoggy-eyed
Looking at the sky, starry-eyed
Searchin' for the place, weary-eyed
Crying in the night, teary-eyed

Classic album, must listen for sure

Last edited by Soulflower; 08-15-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote