Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Bassists
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #173 (permalink)
Rexx Shredd
Music Addict

Louis Johnson
Marcus Miller
Ray Ransom
Mark Adams
Bernard Edwards
Dave LaRue
Bunny Brunel
Chuck Rainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I'm not sure about basisst, but I know hes not the best bassist ever. I mean I think hes so hyped half the time just because his bass lines stand out in the rock genre. While its really not better then most funk bassists.

I don't listen to much funk, but some of the stuff i've heard is way better and some of my friends with pretty credible opinions have said that.

Flea is massively overrated.
no, hes not over-rated....but, back in the day, it was unusual to hear funk basslines in an otherwise punkish hardcore background so, while he wasnt doing anything new on the instrument, he did introduce funk to players who otherwise would have never bothered with the genre. Flea CAN play and, one of the biggest differences between him and many players, is that his funk-side was influenced by First Generation funk players like Larry Graham and Louis johnson....its the second-generation guys that were influenced by Flea and P-Nut are all the "slappity tackity" grooveless nonsense I always hear in Guitar Center

There are many players I prefer over Flea and Flea is NOT one of my influences but that is personal preference, but - yes - Flea can play

Last edited by Rexx Shredd; 08-17-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Rexx Shredd is offline   Reply With Quote