Music Banter - View Single Post - A reason why people remain religious
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Matt, you strike me as a kid who's probably watched too many animes. You know nothing of life, and it shows. You should go and live life for a while and then you can review your thoughts when you've actually got some life experience and see if it still makes sense. If they don't, there may be hope for you, and if you still feel the same, well .. then I think you're special only in a negative sense.
Totally true. You can definitely come to some well thought out conclusions about life in general merely by observation and a little bit of thinking, but without the experience to test out your theories they are unreliable. Not to mention the subtle little details and tidbits of knowledge about life, human relationships, yourself, etc that can only be picked up through life experience that you need to come to any real, paradigm-shifting revelations. I've had plenty of time to sit back and watch, and I think the objectivity gained through detachment has given me a perspective that is in some ways more honest than if I was really in the thick of life. I don't have as much of a dog in the fight as many people, so I am not as emotionally invested in a particular point of view (innate arrogance and narcissism aside), but my world view never matures half as quickly as when I'm actually immersed in everyday life.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.