Music Banter - View Single Post - Su-asti-ka
Thread: Su-asti-ka
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #90 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Since you don't seem stupid I have to wonder if it's your ego and naivete which fails to acknowledge that the majority of the society you live in does not share the same ideology regarding swastikas. Even if you were somehow factually correct it wouldn't matter because society as a whole tends to dictate cultural right/wrongness, morality, and taboos.
Yes, I've gone over this already--the mainstream dictates the meaning a symbol is given in a certain society. It is a version of our culture that the State wants us to have. It is not based on truth, fairness or accuracy. It is based on the politics of power. If it is not rejected or even questioned, it squelches free thought because that is what it was meant to do. The least you can do for yourself is to question everything.

Quote:
Do you go around calling people n*ggers and f*ggots? By definition they are not offensive terms
???? BY DEFINITION that's exactly what they are.

Quote:
Yes, I think it's stupid. Does it matter? No, you don't even have to view it as conformity, just consider it courteous to the people you are around.
But it IS conformity--that's exactly what it is and there is NO REASON to view it any other way. You're asking me to conform. Society is saying "just be like the rest of us." No, I don't want to. I'd rather be f-ucking dead. Now what? Have me arrested?

Quote:
Arguing with forum members is a poor place to start if you are really passionate about this topic.

??? This from Meriam-Webster's might help:

Main Entry:fo£rum
Pronunciation:*f*r-*m
Function:noun
Inflected Form:plural forums also fo£ra \-*\
Etymology:Latin; akin to Latin foris outside, fores door — more at DOOR
Date:15th century

1 a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business b : a public meeting place for open discussion c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas
2 : a judicial body or assembly : COURT
3 a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities

This is aside from the fact that FAR more people will encounter this conversation online than I could ever encounter on the street. And if they respond, they are forced to do so intellectually instead of with insults and physical attacks.

Quote:
You know why I don't complain about things? Because I am too lazy to try and fix them and I don't feel like I have the right if I am not putting in the effort. Similarly to how people who don't vote bitch and moan about who wins.
And yet you're here participating in the discussion. So you obviously feel you have some stake in this thing.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote