Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #64 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Be decent if once these 1000 albums are done, MB members go through the list and post their opinions on the ones they've not heard.

It will take me a fair bit of time as I think I've only heard about three of the ones mentioned so far.
Yeah that's what im planning on doing. heard about half of the nominated ones so far.

36. Ultima Thulee by Blut aus Nord (1995)

Well Burzum broke the black metal barrier for this list, so why not add another. And ohh boy is it a gooder.

And just like In den Garten Pharoas, this album also has a profound affect on me. But in almost the polar opposite way. It's probably pretty cliché at this point, but this album really is like getting lost in a blizzard. It's a harsh and peaceful way to die. Ultima Thulee the slow descent from hope to acceptance of death.
The first half of the album is like someone desperately trying to stay alive. The first 3 songs all have moments of glistening keyboards or beautiful vocals. There's light in the darkness. "The Prayer" is like a temporary safehaven. But it's a place to realize the inevitable. The next 2 songs are not about saving yourself, but accepting what was going to happen all along: death. It's like the emotional weight of that realization that these are your last moments. Rigsthula, the last moment; the final breath. It lasts an eternity, but all of that pain and weight disappears. Bliss. Feels like it could last forever.. The Last Journey of Righorn, the perfect end to this album, is death. The tone of the song changes as it moves on, as life drifts into the unknown. And everything finally fades away..
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote