Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuff That Is Awesome
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #967 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

I have a totally awesome story about a customer I had a couple days ago.

Spoiler for probably the coolest chick I've ever met on the job:
2-3 weeks ago, a portable wind-up phonograph (circa 1940s/50s maybe) was donated to our store. It sat there for a really long time. I was always chosen to help prospective buyers figure out how to use the machine, having been one of the only people on my team that's into music and record collecting (and antiques). It was priced between $70 and $75. I would have picked it up for myself after it had been sitting so long, but I honestly would have just let it sit somewhere in the apartment and I knew someone would give it a loving home eventually (I would have rescued it on its last week - most things in our store are given a 4-week shelf life).

That person visited our store on Friday. We had a long talk at the register about music. She told me she was a huge fan of the Doors, and we talked about Jim and Ray for a while. We just had a really nice time talking about music and records. She told me about her 17 year old daughter. I told her that she had the luckiest kid in the world to have such a cool parent.

She bought over $300 worth of merchandise - including 25 78s.

I thanked her for her company and conversation and suggested that she'd check out the store next door (they also sell records).

She returned on Saturday to show me the brand new Doors records she found at that store. I just thought that was really cool. She cared enough to come by and visit (although she told me she lives many towns over) just to talk music. So damn cool.