Music Banter - View Single Post - Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

I've been struggling to think of ideas for this thread, so I guess I'll just do a bunch of album reviews today.

Meantime - Helmet

Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal-helmet_meantime.jpg

Genre: ?
My genres for the album: post-metal, noise rock, proto-alternative metal

Tracklist & Ratings:
  1. "In the Meantime" - 5/5
  2. "Ironhead" - 2/5
  3. "Give It" - 2/5
  4. "Unsung" - 5/5
  5. "Turned Out" - 3/5
  6. "He Feels Bad" - 4/5
  7. "Better" - 4/5
  8. "You Borrowed" - 2/5
  9. "Fbla li" - 2/5
  10. "Role Model" - 4/5

Overall: 3/5

Although the album has two of my favorite songs in all of metal/alternative, it suffers from a lack of variety/staleness at times. There are attempts at variety, but some of the elements, like the guitar solos, just don't work on this kind of album. It all sounds the same.
"In the Meantime" and "Unsung" though, certainly help to alleviate some of the staleness of many of the songs simply with their noisy, bone-crushing riffs and beat.
That being said, there are other tracks I enjoyed, like "He Feels Bad," "Better," and "Role Model."

Slaughter in the Vatican - EXHORDER

Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal-exhorder_-_slaughter_in_the_vatican.jpg

Genre: Thrash metal, groove metal
My genres for the album: death thrash, groove metal, thrash metal, death metal

Tracklist & Ratings:
  1. "Death In Vain" - 5/5
  2. "Homicide" - 4/5
  3. "Desecrator" - 4/5
  4. "Exhorder" - 5/5
  5. "The Tragic Period" - 4/5
  6. "Legions of Death" - 4/5
  7. "Anal Lust" - 4/5
  8. "Slaughter In The Vatican" - 3/5

Overall: 4/5

This album is one of the best death thrash albums in existence in my opinion. "Desecrator," "Death In Vain," and "Exhorder" are some of the most well-constructed thrash/death thrash songs I've ever heard. The tempo of this album goes all over the place, but it does it without sacrificing intensity in any way.

Highlight songs:

"Death In Vain": The first minute of this song after the atmospheric intro, is one of the greatest moments in the history of metal in my humble opinion.

"Exhorder": EXHOOOORRDDDEERRRRRR!! Everything about this song is perfect: Those first 10 seconds, all of the solos, the last minute. It's all fantastic.

Kill 'em All - MetallicA

Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal-metallica_-_kill_-27em_all_cover.jpg

Genre: thrash metal
My genres for the album: speed metal, proto-thrash, straight-edge punk/hardcore punk

Tracklist & Ratings:
  1. "Hit the Lights" - 5/5
  2. "The Four Horsemen" - 5/5
  3. "Motorbreath" - 4/5
  4. "Jump in the Fire" - 4/5
  5. "(Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth" - 5/5
  6. "Whiplash" - 4/5
  7. "Phantom Lord" - 5/5
  8. "No Remorse" - 3/5
  9. "Seek & Destroy" - 5/5
  10. "Metal Militia" - 4/5

Overall: 5/5

Highlight songs:

Seek & Destroy” was an instantly lovable track for me with that edgy riff, and it remains a favorite of mine. Those last 40 seconds where the riff turns 20x heavier are awe-inspiring.

Phantom Lord”: Everything about this song is excellent. Some of the parts of the song aren’t perfectly executed, (like wtf is that weird spacey intro doing in this song?? That entire intro can be removed as far as I’m concerned.) but ALL of the riffs are excellent, Hetfield’s singing is top-notch, that bizarre breakdown section in the middle is addicting as hell, and the lyrics are fantastic (literally)
Quote:
Hear the cry of War
Louder than before
With his sword in hand
to control the land
Crushing metal strikes
on this frightening night
Fall onto your knees
For the Phantom Lord
"Hit the Lights” is one of my favorite Metallica songs…sort of. I love the first part of the song that has lyrics, but once that close-to-2-minute-solo rolls around, my interest in the song starts to wane considerably. Still, the energy “Hit the Lights" provides is unmatched in Metallica’s discography, even on this album. Hetfield also does a fantastic job singing the song.

The Four Horsemen” is one of the first thrash metal Metallica songs I ever heard, and the first time I listened to this album, it was, along with “Seek & Destroy” the only song I liked from the album. That bridge in the middle of the song is by far my favorite part of the song, aside from the “OH YEAH YEAH!!” from Hetfield after the chorus.

Last edited by Wpnfire; 08-25-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote