Music Banter - View Single Post - Sidewinder's Top 10 Albums from Every Year (1965-)
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #30 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Maybe six years ago I went though a huge progressive rock discovery phase. That included a ton of Italian Symphonic Prog and I really really liked most of the albums I heard. But since then, my enjoyment of them has faded and even after relistening, whatever it was that made me enjoy them isn't quite there anymore. They're still good but I just didn't feel anything anymore. So when I started to compile this list and saw all these 4+ star rated albums in my list, I thought I'd never be able to sort out a top 10. Then the task became easier once I realized the prog love just wasn't there anymore. Now that's not to say certain albums didn't have staying power, as you'll see based on the inclusion of Khan, Genesis, and Wishbone Ash. All truly worthwhile albums. The one I think would have made this list if there was more room is Yes' Close to the Edge, but I do enjoy The Yes Album and Fragile more.
I went through basically the same exact thing. For a while, all I wanted was prog rock. A song less than 10 minutes long? Not the band for me. I definitely wore out of that phase, but the big names definitely still get rotation. That's the problem with prog...the obscure stuff is obscure because most of it is just tiresome noodling served as being "progressive" but the big bands provided some great albums that still hold up.