Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #8993 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
In the late 70's and early 80's Michael did not dance with back up dancers in his performances. That started with the BAD album.

So how was he selling a gimmick when he did not become a superstar by using backup dancers?
Never said anything about backup dancers. I was using the same logic as you were by finding something that contributed to an artist's iconography and writing it off as a gimmick. Also, well established artists are just as capable of using gimmicks (you could argue that some turn to it in an attempt to stay relevant but that's a different discussion) than anyone else.

Quote:
How is Beyonce and Gaga not a gimmick or PR machines?
(1) I never said they weren't, (2) it's impossible to prove a negative, and (3) being chock full of gimmicks does not derive from someone being an icon. An icon comes from popularity and making waves in pop culture, basically because they are household names and spark discussion, they are icons. A good lot of people know who they are and since they are so recognizable, they achieve that status. We just seem to fundamentally disagree on what makes an icon it seems.

Quote:
What Iconic performances do they have since you insisted they have some?
Beyonce's performances at the VMAs and Superbowl were discussed more than the events themselves. If that's not iconic to you refer to my above statement. And basically any performance of Lady Gaga's that was served to a wide public platform (VMAs, SNL, Jimmy Kimmel and such) went over extremely well and are iconic because of the hugely theatrical elements of the shows being so unique to Gaga (for the most part).

Quote:
How are they similar to MJ?

You need to support your opinion with explanations and facts instead of giving labels.
The use of extra-musical outlets to help achieve more fame such as the outfits, the music videos, and the impressive performances make Lady Gaga, MJ, and Beyonce alike because they all used those things to promote themselves in the public eye. I'm sorry that you don't see the similarity. Plus they're pop stars I think that's a pretty big similarity.

Quote:
Is everything okay? You seem angry.
I'm not angry, I just find your debating style to be obnoxious. It always turns out to just be a big headache.

Last edited by Frownland; 08-26-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote