Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #124 (permalink)
The Sane Psycho
Music Addict

62. Soundgarden- Superunknown (1994)

I already talked about Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice In Chains on this list, so there was no way in hell I was leaving out Soundgarden. Soundgarden fans often argue over whether Badmotorfinger or Superunknown is their best album. Though Badmotorfinger is a great album, I prefer Superunknown.

Soundgarden truly sounded strange compared to the other Big Four of Grunge, especially on this album. Soundgarden was more metallic than a lot of their contemporaries, kind of sounding like Jimmy Page singing for Black Sabbath in the '80s and '90s. This album really went far out there, though, adding Psychedelic elements to their sound. I've heard this described as Future Grunge, and I think that's an apt description. If aliens were to come to Earth to share their version of Alternative with us Earthlings, this would be the result.

The songwriting on this album is interesting. It's abstract as all hell. The lyrics really are open to interpretation. Many people interpret the songs to be about depression, suicide, drug addiction, loss, isolation, etc. Whatever they're about, the fact that the songs don't have a clear meaning, and yet can invoke emotions from you, is truly beautiful.

This album is a true masterpiece. It's a shame that Soundgarden isn't as fondly remembered as the other Big Four, because they are just as good as the other three. In some ways, they're even better, as they're perhaps more unique sounding, and also more musically adept. But, if nothing else, Superunknown truly cements Soundgarden's legacy in the Grunge movement.

Last edited by The Sane Psycho; 08-28-2014 at 07:05 PM.
The Sane Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote