Music Banter - View Single Post - WW2 and the Rise of Rock 'N' Roll
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

Doo-wop also got its start in the 40s via the vocal groups and while it would be difficult to pinpoint exactly when it started or by whom, one band that definitely deserves credit is the Ravens. Formed in 1946, the Ravens were influenced by the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers but had a more contemporary sound and began recording for the Hub label. In 1947, they signed with National Records. What set them apart from other singing groups of that period was that the lead singer, Jimmy “Ricky” Ricks, was the bass singer.

They had a big hit in 1947 with their version of “Ol’ Man River”:

The Ravens - Old Man River - YouTube

“Write Me a Letter” in 1947 reached #5:

The Ravens - Write Me A Letter - YouTube

One should not call the Ravens a doo-wop group, they were NOT. But they had a great influence on the earliest doo-wop to emerge which were black groups that grew up listening to them. These groups even named themselves after birds—the Crows, the Orioles, the Penguins, the Flamingos, etc. All doo-wop groups had to have a strong bass singer because the bass voice had a prominent role and Jimmy Ricks was the standard to which all future doo-wop bass men were compared.

Proof that the Ravens weren’t doo-wop, however, is found in the fact that once doo-wop became the rage, the Ravens were considered dated. They were so dated that they broke up in 1958 (after several personnel changes). Nor were they ever elected to the Doo Wop Hall of Fame (at least to my knowledge) but were inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame.

But the idea that they had no influence on rock ‘n’ roll would be every bit as misguided as calling them a doo-wop band.

Original lineup.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote