Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #187 (permalink)
Key

Opeth - Pale Communion

I am a pretty big fan of the more mellow side of Opeth. My favorite album by them before this release was Damnation, and upon this album release, on first listen, it surpassed Damnation with no trouble. There's really not a lot of bad I can say about this album other than the fact that I wish it was longer. The starting track "Eternal Rain Will Come" just gets the proginess going right away with no breath in between, and then starts to get to that more mellow Opeth sound that I have come to love. Truly a remarkable way to start off the album. Of course I don't really have a favorite track off the album as it really just fits together so well and feels like one long proggy track that I could listen to an endless number of times.

I'm happy to see Opeth still doing work. When Storm Corrosion was released, I wasn't really looking into either persons projects to see if there were anything new to come, so one could say that this new Opeth was a bit of a surprise, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. I have read that Steven Wilson does have something up his sleeve, but it won't be released for quite some time, and as far as Porcupine Tree as a whole goes, I know nothing of any new work on the horizon, but perhaps it will come as another pleasant surprise. I can hope.

Definitely an album that one who's really into the mellow side of Opeth would love to hear. On that same note, this could mean that we could possibly expect a heavier Opeth album next. In a few years, of course. No rush though, as this album truly holds a remarkable place in my favorite Opeth albums, and pushes Damnation down to number 2, and this one takes the crown as my favorite mellow Opeth album. With Deliverance being the number 1 heavy album by them.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote