Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #168 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

89. The Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons (1967)

Yet another album with a song that has a connection with a John Hughes movie, coincidences? Not intended, I really didn't think of it at the time when I decided to nominate this album. It's just that I noticed there were no Beatles, Stones or Kinks's albums in the list as of yet and I thought I would remedy that with one of my all time favorite 60s albums from my favorite band. The John Hughes connection was an after-thought.

I'm only guessing John Hughes chose to name the girl whom the main character pines over after a Stones tune, maybe to have a ready-made song about one of his characters in the movie. If you watch the movie however the song was covered by The March Violets so you won't hear the original Stones version. The John Hughes connection aside...

The Stones could had been easily named the album "Between the Beats" cause they play in the pocket. The band plays loose and yet like they've just learn their instruments. The album has a neat lo-fi sound. I like the raw energy some of the songs have. They sound like they are about to fall apart, give up and stop playing the song but somehow pull through. Kinda like Jack White but 30-something years prior.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 08-30-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote